Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wireless Weather Stations

Wireless Weather Stations 09 May 2012 14:41 #1

• pgoard
  • Fresh Boarder
For some 10 years I have used a wired-in WM918 weather station with anemometer and vane on a 5-metre pole, rain gauge on a low veranda roof and thermo unit in a breeze-way and all connected to a PC, but most of the units have now ceased working, except the vane. There are no apparent and repairable causes. The Weather Display program plots and records my data on the PC.
There are several wireless units on the market from La Crosse and Oregon Scientific (Jaycar) up to about $200, all similar with all components on a pole, which arrangement does not meet recommended sitings. The rain gauge should be near ground level or at least with 45o clear of trees or buildings and the temperature and hygrometer unit, shaded and close to 1.4 m above ground level - [Ideal being Stevenson Screen]. So as to provide battery charging, these units a solar cell mounted on the top of the thermo unit so location cannot be changed.
Does anyone know of a better not too expensive unit? As I am not as young as I used to be, accessing such devices after installation for battery changing is not easy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wireless Weather Stations 09 Jun 2012 20:20 #2

• doug
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I used to have that model weather station and had trouble with it. Only reading when it wanted . I have a inexpensive
Digitech from jaycar they are fairly good as long as you remove the temp and rain sensors and mount them around 900mm off the ground for the temp sensor and about 300 mm for the rain guage and that fixed mine up . Also helps battery changing. Hope this helps cheers Doug. :cheer:
Last Edit: 09 Jun 2012 20:22 by doug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgoard

Re: Wireless Weather Stations 09 Jun 2012 21:56 #3

• pgoard
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks,Doug, for the comment. The La Crosse WS2355 looked good, as rain gauge and wind sensor unit can be mounted separately with cables to outdoor hydro-thermal unit then wireless to indoor, so purchased one. Was easy to set up, although still to mount the wind sensor as assistant is needed. The hydro-thermal has batteries to drive the outside units and are easily accessible. Am quite impressed with the raingauge with 0.1 mm resolution. The feed to the computer was easy, using the Weather Display program -- just selected the new unit and up came the data and conveniently rained within three days. :)
Last Edit: 09 Jun 2012 22:00 by pgoard. Reason: Added smiley.
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds